Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rule 9 9 years 6 months ago #3648

This to me is a very easy rule to understand - in basic terms, if a rail station catches oil from a rig, it breaks the rule. The onus is on the player to make sure train stations do not catch oil from rigs directly, by placing their stations in a better way.

If any mod sees train stations breaking this rule, they will ask the player to move the station.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rule 9 9 years 6 months ago #3649

While I understand (now) that taking oil from a rig by train directly is forbidden in any form, I have a question about the why of it.

I understand the rule is meant to have rigs accessible to all players (by ship). It is also clear that raising land for a train station can easily hinder this.

My question is, what harm does a station on already existing(not raised) land do to the game-play? (I don't want to start an unnecessary discussion, I just wonder if I am missing something.

Rule 9 9 years 6 months ago #3650

ST2 wrote: Water-borne resources MUST be taken by use of SHIPS only (...)

So by that logic i can't even transfer them to trains. Also what about passengers and the helicopters btw. is it still a waterborne resource or is it just normal passengers?

Rule 9 9 years 6 months ago #3651

IANF wrote:

ST2 wrote: Water-borne resources MUST be taken by use of SHIPS only (...)

So by that logic i can't even transfer them to trains. Also what about passengers and the helicopters btw. is it still a waterborne resource or is it just normal passengers?

I disagree - once the resource is taken from the source, you can do as you wish with it, but the key point is that it cannot be taken by road/rail directly from the rig.

I think the thing to remember is that water-borne resources should only be taken by the methods allowed by the direct station acceptance, so oil rigs can accept boats or choppers. Since choppers can only carry passengers, they're no use for oil, and frankly they're no use in the game at all, hence why they get ignored. Howwever, if you were to raise land to build a rail station for passengers, this would be frowned upon just as much as if you did it for oil.

Last edit: by Chizzle.

Rule 9 9 years 6 months ago #3652

Andreas wrote: While I understand (now) that taking oil from a rig by train directly is forbidden in any form, I have a question about the why of it.

I understand the rule is meant to have rigs accessible to all players (by ship). It is also clear that raising land for a train station can easily hinder this.

My question is, what harm does a station on already existing(not raised) land do to the game-play? (I don't want to start an unnecessary discussion, I just wonder if I am missing something.

It's not about harm or not, it's about having a line in the sand, because otherwise you'd find players trying to stretch the rule as much as possible. Therefore we put this rule in place to stop precisely that type of behaviour.

Rule 9 9 years 6 months ago #3653

@ IANF:
Follow the link . Sometimes it helps read the topic from the start ^^
Since rule 9 respected on the loading proccess (aka cargo taken), transfers are acceptable. Similar to any other industry type because rule 9 do NOT states that must be transported by ships to his final destination.

@ Andreas
Rules always work better without the need to add exceptions to them. And we don't want to make admins check each land tile if was raised or not. Your concept of "existing(not raised) land" cannot be applied, by the reason the... when a player joins a game when this already runs for some time, all land is "real land" when in fact could already been raised by another player. So, any exception of that kind would create real nightmares to the admin side. And that's why rule 9 applies as it is.

Edit: this was started before Chizzle's reply, but posted after. But the idea is the same ^^
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Last edit: by ST2.
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Rule 9 - Page 4 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.