Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Server #9: Why train length decreased to 15 8 years 10 months ago #4336

Why so strong limits on this server. It's 1 billion goal server. I suggest return back to 20 train length and station spread limits.
  • Dobro
  • Dobro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Server #9: Why train length decreased to 15 8 years 10 months ago #4337

Thank you for using our suggestion forum for this problem.
In march 2015 , there was a vote among the players and admins , and the result was to reduce the station spreading to 15 tiles, to make the game more competitive. It's not a definitive matter, we are still gathering feedback and any advice is welcomed.

Thank you for your suggestion.
  • rdstm
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 2

Server #9: Why train length decreased to 15 8 years 10 months ago #4341

Dobro, as rdstm said, was talked among admin team the limits.
Anyway, your suggestion of "return back to 20 train length and station spread limits" would be better if accompanied with the reasons "why". The goal, with current vehicle limits, it's totally achievable. Probably you'll need to build a bit more... but that's a good point, right?! Take in account the number of trains a station can handle ^^

All server goals and max station spreads were balanced. Remember that some servers had max station spread reduced from 20 to 7/8 tiles. Reason: max station size was being abused to cover similar industries. If not this the reason of your suggestion, can you elaborate a bit your suggestion?

Thx in advance :)
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Server #9: Why train length decreased to 15 8 years 10 months ago #4342

I appreciate the opinion of yours (admin team) and it's not a big problem for me. There a reason:

On this screen you see transfer station, where coal and iron ore (and scrap metal) delivering from mines and transfering to "big" trains to go across the map to still mill. I use 5 lines on each side of station for little trains (on left side it's 5 tiles length = 8 cargo wagons = only 240 coal, but i serving 5 supplied coal mines with 400..640 units production) and rest 5 lines in the middle I use for long trains and they fails. There are about 5000 units of iron ore and about 7000 coal.
And one more reason - it's breakdowns. There are algorithm - shorter train, the more breakdowns. Because you need more trains to deliver same amount of cargo. More trains - more breakdowns. Or you need more lines.
May be most of admins who suggests this changes didn't play on this server? For classic servers may be it's not so important to mix cargoes in one station, but for FIRS it's the whole point. Because ore+coal+scrap_metal=steel. And it's not a ECS, where steel mill accumulate delivered resources. In FIRS if you deliver 1000 units of coal in one month and 1000 ore in another, it doesn't count - you got only 625 steel. But if you deliver it in one month plus a little scrap metal, you have got 2000 metal.
Thank you for patience :)
  • Dobro

Last edit: by Dobro. Reason: Screen shot didn't attached.

Server #9: Why train length decreased to 15 8 years 10 months ago #4343

I agree that FIRS takes it to another level... but, I could agree on remove breakdowns, but possibly not with increase station spread! Would that be acceptable to you too?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dobro
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Server #9: Why train length decreased to 15 8 years 10 months ago #4344

Yes, ofcourse, I said that it is not a big problem for me.
  • Dobro

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Server #9: Why train length decreased to 15 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.