Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Citybuilder with a twist: My idea on a new server 11 years 8 months ago #1136

Hello my name is Matt, I have played OTTD for about 3 years and have been a member and moderator of Clanmega.warlink.eu (DEFUNCT). They were a clan of people who liked to run patched games that were for custom maps involving the real world and co-operation games. They were fun. But sadlly they are long gone.

One of the things i noticed was that people liked to make big cities. Citybuilders as there called, well generally the term of those servers, So i got the idea of mixing one of my favorite unreal maps from clanmega, area 51, and citybuilder. The result was nice, but very buggy and needing alot of work. Needless to say i worked on a new map and got something roughlly what can work with basic OTTD without any server-side modifications. The downside is its very cheatable, very exploitable, and just simply confusing. However im working on the map day after day trying to make it just abit better with simple ideas coming into my head that just make it abit funner and more efficent. So... what is this gamemode?

I call it Territorial Feuding. A mix of Citybuilder, Cooperation/Coopetition, and "tycooning"

How does this work?

The map has 16 areas. Each area is about 510X510 tiles. Filling up a hole 2048X2048 map. 14 of the 16 areas are usable by companies and each has a very small town with a population of about 100 people and a bunch of industries to work with to make a profitable company. In the long run this will be used to make an efficent and megacity. You have about 400 USD to start off, which i deem as adequete enough to get a company running and profitable. As your company grows, so should your city, since your main goal is to make a big enough city that it inevidblly makes you "President for Life" and wins you the game.

President For life??? Well get to that in a second.

The other 2 territories are simply exchange areas. Using an old ottd glitch with oilrigs that allows all ships to load and transfer cargo to and from docks to the oil rig. I.e you can arrange 2 companies to work together to give 1 thing in exchange for another. I.e 1 shipload of coal will be delivered for exchange, in exchange for 1 shipment of diamonds. This gives that extra boost you might need to make a bigger and better city.

Now lets get to president for life.

This also includes that "tycooning" thing i was talking about

You see, as your company is more profitable and has a higher performance rating, youll be able to have "Higher Fieftom Authority" This gives you the benefits of being able to make better negotiations that can force companies into shipping services whilst also giving you other perks and winning the game. Every 4 game years, an Election is held to see who will be president, the 2 people with the highest authroity will duke it out, via chat ppl will decide which company they want as president. NOTE NO ONE CAN ABSTAIN. once the president is elected he now has the privalige of monoplozing on the very rich productive based industries in the exchange zone. once your presidentship is up, you get a massive fine using the exchange zone land.

Another thing is once you become President you can enact some reforms in exchange for your authority points

1) Permanent Domain (permanent allowance of use of industry in exchange zones without fee)

2) Exact Product (a company MUST exchange with whatever the president demands and on his terms)

3) Become elected for life (Win the game, costs having 110% AP., u get the extra 10 AP from "conquering" another territory)

And finally Conquering

You can conquer another persons territory once your city can creep into another area and be large enough to be able to disrupt the other companies services enough to cause a decrease in Profitability, performance, and authority.

This is a very complex game mode, but i feel is very fun, it can be very dooable, and should only require for the most part server-side scripting. the map is more or less done. I would love to hear feedback about this.

With regards,

Matt
  • Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Citybuilder with a twist: My idea on a new server 11 years 8 months ago #1137

Hey Matt,

Thanks for joining and making the post :)
I have to say, this is a GREAT deal more complex than I was expecting :unsure: ...but I do think there is something in the idea that would make a very interesting game

To have a goal of having a certain size city combined with sectioned areas with industries that you can trade with other players to get the right combo to grow your own city faster is very interesting, and possibly doable with game-script, The only really hard thing is stopping abuse: city destruction and people not keeping to there own areas, that would need a server patch to fix i believe.

I am sure Frank would be able to comment more :)

Re: Citybuilder with a twist: My idea on a new server 11 years 8 months ago #1140

I will reply this evening on this one guys, im on my ipad right now, doesnt type so nice
Y ;-)

Thanks for your idea matt, can you code a little? :-P

See you guys this evening!

Frank

Re: Citybuilder with a twist: My idea on a new server 11 years 8 months ago #1144

Theres probably something to code that others' companies towns are a restricted area, so u cannot build there.

However the manhattan counter will bite you there, because u will need diamond shaped areas then. :)

Its a cool idea but very complex imo.
  • solo
  • Thank you received: 17

Re: Citybuilder with a twist: My idea on a new server 11 years 8 months ago #1146

no i only know visual basic sorry :l
  • Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Citybuilder with a twist: My idea on a new server - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.