Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Why do some towns grow faster than others? 10 years 8 months ago #2027

Is there more to the Citybuilder script than just delivering a lot of cargo to grow your town?

I've noticed several times that some people's towns grow faster than others, even when delivering more cargo, it doesn't necessarily mean faster growth. Does ratings also play a part?

Also, was playing on a temperate game this weekend, it was a 4000 goal and I reached the 4000 goal before having to deliver goods. It was a bit strange at the time as the other player also didn't need goods.

More interested to know why some towns grow much faster than others...
  • Mulder
  • Mulder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why do some towns grow faster than others? 10 years 8 months ago #2059

+1
and i want to add (may be it will be the first step to understanding the problem) that towns are not only growing -- towns suffers from population loss at the same time.
and more specific question is: what are the factors of population loss????

Why do some towns grow faster than others? 10 years 8 months ago #2061

Higher town rating means faster growth. Also you should make sure that there is as much free space as possible in all directions from the center of your town. Blocking one part off with a big train station for example is a bad idea.

The growth is a bit random at times though, it is especially annoying when one of your big buildings gets replaced by a cottage early in the game as it will set you back for a long time. When it comes to deliveries, all that matters is if all cargos are delivered or not. Any extra supplies doesn't make a difference.

Silly Sad wrote: +1
and i want to add (may be it will be the first step to understanding the problem) that towns are not only growing -- towns suffers from population loss at the same time.
and more specific question is: what are the factors of population loss????

What I've experienced is that towns desire a balance between building types. So what you should be looking for when selecting a town, is the amount of buildings, not the population itself. A town with many small houses is a better choice than a town with fewer, but bigger buildings, because the first alternative is likely to grow big buildings, while the latter one is likely to destroy them.

Last edit: by Gelidis.

Why do some towns grow faster than others? 10 years 8 months ago #2066

There are definitely some "invisible" parameters which affect town growth. For example, growth may have to do something with city layout, station ratings, etc. Admins could shed some light on that, if they wish so.

Why do some towns grow faster than others? 10 years 8 months ago #2067

That would take all the magic and fun away if we were do that, jrambo :P

But yes, if you wish for faster town growth, deliver all cargo monthly without fail, pick towns with high building counts rather than population at the beginning, increase your town reputation quickly. Like if your town hates you, why would people want to move there? And ensure there is plenty of space around your town for growth and use the same road layout as the town is generated with.

All simple concepts so nothing too difficult and is mostly known by the regular players by now.

Good luck and happy gaming :)

cxc
Server Admin
  • cxc
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 35

Why do some towns grow faster than others? 10 years 8 months ago #2070

And in a reply to reaching 4k without needing goods.
The CB script probably crashed somewhere before you needed goods. Growth would've been stuck on the same amount of days for everyone. You probably also still needed the same amount of pax and mail as you did around 1k (or at whatever time the script crashed).
  • vGelder
  • Thank you received: 55

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Why do some towns grow faster than others? - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.