Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Possible END of BTPro OpenTTD Community 3 years 4 months ago #7318

Dear all,

Since some time now there is not much activity on BTPro anymore if it comes to moderation. I receive more and more (private) messages from people that trolls are taking over the servers.
As you may (or may not) know the former moderators have spend TREMENDOUS time to the community, and we are VERY grateful that they did. Myself learned a lot in coding and how things work, which brings me now to a point that I can code anything I want. However, private life came around the corner for all of us and time for the community is hardly available for all of us anymore.

This brings me to the point which I like to raise: Is there still enough interest in the community to keep it running?
You have to understand that on a monthly basis the total costs of the servers which we are running is around 40 Euros. We are very grateful for all the donations which we received, but at some point those funds are dried up and no new donations are coming in anymore. This means that we are paying the server costs from our own pockets. Something that in current times proved to be difficult due to circumstances.

Now, the new year is approaching. And frankly speaking I want to see if it's still worth it to start a complete new score list for 2021 with the current player base. That's why I want to keep this topic open for anyone who wants to do their say. Open to extension, or people who think this is now enough. Or, maybe someone who feels welcome to start as a moderator is also welcome. Depending on the replies I will shortly make a decision.

Hope you all understand the circumstances in which we are and hope to have a healthy conversation on this forum about the future of the community.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Frank
Server Admin
The following user(s) said Thank You: mwise, Yardking, Rosco, harigfruit, Inscius, Blackhawk, Utslagsnes, tomb, Dug26, ptrxmas and 3 other people also said thanks.
  • Frank
  • Frank's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 373
Last edit: by Frank.
The topic has been locked.

Possible END of BTPro OpenTTD Community 3 years 4 months ago #7319

Frank, first of all I want to thank you and whole team for your work!

My thought is BTPro servers are greatest of the OTTD community, so it would be great to see them running in future. There are still number of playersm so servers are alive. I'm quite new to BTPro community since I was inactive in OTTD for 4-5 years, but in a few months I did not face serious trolls on servers (maybe I was lucky:).

Hope you will keep servers, maybe in a limited number if it allows to save funds. I was planning to become a Vip member, so I will do it:) Of course, it will not cover all expences, but at least can help for certain period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank, Inscius

Possible END of BTPro OpenTTD Community 3 years 4 months ago #7321

These servers (specifically K1) take up the vast majority of my playing time in this game, and I would be sad to see them go. So I hope you can find a solution. That said, if you don’t have the resources to run it, then mere goodwill and wishes will not really help. You do what you have to do.

Sidenote, I actually considered applying for moderator as I’ve noticed that moderation has been a bit lacking recently, but decided against it as I don’t think I have the time, and my online presence is unreliable at best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank
  • Inscius
  • Don't believe anyone. Including me.
  • Thank you received: 59
Last edit: by Inscius.

Possible END of BTPro OpenTTD Community 3 years 4 months ago #7322

i would be able to keep an eye out myself. although i do not experience any trolles in the games i play.

maybe some exposure will help with the player and donation count?

i know its a long shot but, the spiffing britt youtube channel features openttd sometimes(by trying to cheat the game :p) maybe he is willing to give this community a mention?

edit:
does the number of servers have an big impact on maintenance cost?
Last edit: by harigfruit.

Possible END of BTPro OpenTTD Community 3 years 4 months ago #7325

I wrote on facebook!

Possible END of BTPro OpenTTD Community 3 years 4 months ago #7330

I support you with a donation, continue !!! P.S. it's hard for everyone! ... the vaccine is coming :) I'm scheduled to do it on January 29th
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Possible END of BTPro OpenTTD Community - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.