Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How do I leave a game without 'quitting' it ? 11 years 11 months ago #866

Sometimes I can go back in and enter password and keep playing.
Last night, I left the $1500M Long Goal game and when I came back this morning, my company has gone.
How can I leave the game without losing the company so I can go back in later and keep playing?

Much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: How do I leave a game without 'quitting' it ? 11 years 11 months ago #867

Currently there is no way to save your company from being autocleaned apart from staying in your company. Once you leave the game password protected companies are safe from being autocleaned for 5 ingame years which is over an hour. While non-password protected companies are only safe for 1 ingame year. This was done to overcome issues with there being 15 companies active but no players ingame. Which meant that no one else could set up a company.
  • cxc
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 35

Re: How do I leave a game without 'quitting' it ? 11 years 9 months ago #1000

1 ingame year = 20 mins if Im not mistaken, so currently you have a maximum of one hour before your company will be removed.

Tbh I think this limit is too short. Now its summertime and I have little to do at work, but to not be able to take a two hour break to go to the store and make some dinner is a bit annoying. I mean, I get the problem with ALOT of inactive companies, but increasing it to two hours wouldnt make a huge difference, and besides its better with three four semi active companies and a few really active compared to two active companies only.

Re: How do I leave a game without 'quitting' it ? 11 years 9 months ago #1002

If you SET a password on your company it is safe from autoclean for 5 ingame years if you LEAVE the game. If you are going to be away for more than 5 ingame years just leave your computer running with OTTD on.

If you DO NOT SET a password and LEAVE the game then its safe from autoclean for 1 ingame year
  • cxc
  • Thank you received: 35

Re: How do I leave a game without 'quitting' it ? 11 years 9 months ago #1008

Yeah, I get that - and you should always set a password regardless of the autoclean timer imho.

However I think that 6 ingame years are too little. How about setting it to 12 ingame years = 2 hours real time. Thats not too much considering you often play for 9-10 hours straight.

And regarding leaving your PC on with OTTD running, you will after some while be put in an AFK state. My company got sold while being AFK (and I had banked more than 2M) after ab hour, so not compleley sure leaving your PC on will solve the 60min timelimit. Can you confirm this?

Re: How do I leave a game without 'quitting' it ? 11 years 9 months ago #1013

MadMike,

The fact that the system will place you in AFK mode doesn't mean that the system kicks you out of your company... You will STAY IN your company, even though you are AFK.
The only possibility would be a disconnect from the server which could screw up your plans to leave your computer on, however, this doesn't happen very often if you are using a WIRED connection (so not wireless).

You can see the reset info when you type !resetinfo in-game, which is currently on server 2:

Automatic reset: passworded: 72 month(s); not passworded: 12 month(s); no vehicles: 1 month(s)

The reason why we do this is to keep the server healthy... If there are like 1200 trains (usually more in the end of the game) devided over 5 companies active in the game (and all the other vehicles offcourse), I think you can imagine what that does to the server load? then we are running 9 server instances of OpenTTD on our current server, so we have to build in something to prevent to much CPU load.

Hope this answers anyones questions :-)

Frank
Server Admin

Last edit: by Frank.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 How do I leave a game without 'quitting' it ? - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.