Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Some thoughts about Server #97 (Fast random goals) 8 years 6 months ago #4876

Recently I observed what's going on on server #97 (Fast random goals) and played there three times. As you all probably know, there are different short goals there in random climates. Out of many different games I personally found the following two very entertaining:
- 650 points of company performance,
- 100.000 tonnes of any cargo.

I don't know if 650 points is the fixed value, but changing it (e.g. randomly from 500 up to 950 :evil:) should lead to different player strategies, which would make the game more interesting. Suppose you can combine such goal with fair scoring, depending on drawn threshold, and... we've got the configuration which deserves to be a regular server. Of course - reaching 950 points of company performance is not a "fast goal", so the name must be different. And I realize that it is easy to write about "fair scoring", and it is much, much harder to establish the equation...

So, now, some observations related to scoring:
I finished "650 points" in 48 minutes and received 13 points (game #321).
I finished "100.000 tonnes" in 30 minutes (!) and received 3 points (game #266). I used only road vehicles to reach the goal (about 100 RVs), and I thought it must be the reason of poor scoring. So I tried again with trains, trying to keep low number of them. I finished the game in 50 minutes and received 4 points (game #322).

I suppose that such poor scoring is simply proportional to Server #31 scores. BTW: some time ago it was much easier to gather points on server #31 than now (something has changed in the meantime). And maybe everything is correct, but I personally think that I should gain a little bit more points for reaching cargo goal, and a little bit less for reaching company performance goal (at 650).

What do you think about it?

[Please note that I'm not complaining, just observing. And I felt that I should share these observations with someone, especially because the server has "testing" status and feedback should be welcome.]
  • tomb
  • tomb's Avatar Topic Author
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • Thank you received: 234

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some thoughts about Server #97 (Fast random goals) 8 years 6 months ago #4877

hello :)

glad you like the server :)

while the goal type is random, the amount (goal itself) it's fixed, because it's defined on a different place. So, for now, inside a a goal type it can't "float".

test server #97 is being used to tweak score formula when the goal is Cargo (which is passed later to #31) and to balance it among different goal types. It's not a small task and the free time doesn't help :S
Currently #31 is giving less points, known fact. It's part of a change because was bugged previously, giving huge amount of points. Still not on it final form because it's very hard to test all variables.

In the meantime thanks for your observation and understanding :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomb
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.025 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Some thoughts about Server #97 (Fast random goals) - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.