Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Disable breakdown of trains? 10 years 4 months ago #2436

Hi,

I'm quite new to OTTD and your servers, but I already had a few fun evenings here... many thanks! :)
So maybe a stupid beginners question:

I'm just wondering what the reasons are, that breakdown of vehicles is activated on the servers? Of course, it's more realistic - but on the other hand very disgusting when you have a longer line packed with trains and see permanent stopping (even when serviced well).

Best regards
Georg
  • Gnarf
  • Gnarf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Disable breakdown of trains? 10 years 4 months ago #2437

The best way is to force your trains in the depos before they enter the station where the trains are loading. This way they will never break down except for very long runs they will probably break down once. If you need further explanation or more to the point I will make a screenshot for you. :)

Disable breakdown of trains? 10 years 4 months ago #2441

Forced service on both sides of a long line combined with only using trains with a (very) high reliability should work fine, with 0-1 breakdowns between services.

Just watch out for some of the "side-effects" of forced service..
For example, if you build the depots after the stations, trains might go trough the station without stopping, going for service and then they will be unable to get back to the station where they need to be.
Second, the speed with which the train is entering the station is important for the ratings on stations where the trains load, so building the depots just before the loading station will have a negative effect on the station rating.
And third, make sure there's enough space and enough depots. Trains drastically slow down while entering (and leaving) depots and you don't want a traffic jam because of the depots, instead of jams because of the breakdowns. You could split up the single track to two tracks just before the forced service and use 2 depots per line straigt across from each other, in combination with the 5th singal type in front of it.

Breakdowns are enabled on most Company Value servers at BTPro because it's part of the game and a nice challenge to avoid it from being a problem. Our CityBuilder servers don't have breakdowns enabled.
  • vGelder
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 55

Last edit: by vGelder.

Disable breakdown of trains? 10 years 2 months ago #2588

Thats wrong vgelder. The max speed a train has in the "max speed" value is what determines the station rating not the speed it enters at because that would be at 61kmh. Kisses!
//Magnus 'Saber' Jonsson
  • Saber
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • FrankerZ
  • Thank you received: 34

Disable breakdown of trains? 10 years 2 months ago #2591

Yeah, you're right. I didn't know this at that time though
  • vGelder
  • Thank you received: 55

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Disable breakdown of trains? - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.