Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Question about mail -- and grid 8 years 4 months ago #4927

Can someone explain this picture to me. (it's in danish, in case you're wondering).

It clearly says, that i need mail. yet the station has over 300 of it. I tried to transport it around the town, by ofc building a station next to it etc. But that did'nt work. Also, i had mutiple trains going back and forth, all with full cargo - from 4 major cities. so it makes no sense i still need all that mail in the first place. Also none of the trains was set to "transfer"

Warning: Spoiler!

And last but not least. is that grid any good? :P if not how can i improve it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by fladpande.

Question about mail -- and grid 8 years 4 months ago #4928

The picture shows that you've got 375 bags of mail ready to leave the station Retston Vest. You should transport it to another station in the town using trucks.

Town window show what happened last month: 77 delivered bags of mail. And you have to deliver at least 102 bags of mail each month. Maybe you are delivering more, but I suppose that due to irregular deliveries you have one month not meeting the criteria.

About the grid: I think it is nice. Many high-rank players build something like this, especially in CB 25k or more. It gives good results when combined with well designed in-town transport.
  • tomb
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • Thank you received: 234

Question about mail -- and grid 8 years 4 months ago #4929

Thanks for the reply.
As i mentioned in OP. i did actually try to transport from the station, to another with trucks, but that did'nt work. maybe it actually was a bug?. and it ofc was "linket" to the train station.

About the grid. i have watched some of the high ranked players, and thought i would give it a go. But it doesn't seem to grow faster at all, even tho i have 1000 rating, and met all the demands. not talking about the game in OP, but in general.

Question about mail -- and grid 8 years 4 months ago #4930

I've just finished my 165th City Builder game on BTPro Servers, and up to now I remember one game, when the game script freezed/hang. So, basing on my experience, it is possible to spot the bug (or have impression of it) but you have to be lucky :-)

About the grid: I build more roads in my cities (because I like them more then ;-), but I think I loose some growth speed on it.
  • tomb
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • Thank you received: 234

Question about mail -- and grid 8 years 3 months ago #4955

To transport mail from that station using trucks, you need to build a truck station connected to it, and there are no roads next to that station so you can't do it... the only way with that setup would be to build a truck station on the tree at the top left of the station and then join it back to your road network around the top of the houses on the top left.

Normally in CB you get the bulk of your mail from other cities by rail, and then bolster it with some internal truck networks. See that loop to the left of the station? If you build a truck station at either end of it you can get a truck or two looping around and around delivering mail between them. Creative use of one-way arrows will also allow you to setup these "loops" on long stretches, eg "___>>[Station1]____[Station2]<<___" - once a truck goes in it can't get out and will transfer between the two stations forever.. just make sure both stations have "Mail" in both Supply and Accept.

I think the town layout is not very good - you can see this from the extremely high "CS" (Cycle Skip) count in the city window. This is how many times the city tried to build a house but had to start again after looping back on itself. In a perfect setup this is always 0, 53 is VERY high. See the 3-way junction under the "Reston (2737)" label? This is where the program starts each time it tries to build a house. It randomly chooses a direction then goes that way until it hits a junction, where it randomly chooses again. In your setup you can see that if it goes up, then 50% of the time it comes back because that road loops back to the "right" path. If it goes left, then 50% of the time it will come back due to the loop on the left (regardless of which way it goes at the first junction, the second junction has a 50% chance of sending it back). Finally, if it goes right then 50% of the time it will loop back via the "up" path, and when it doesn't do that, then 50% of the time it will turn left at the T-junction down the end and end up in the lake giving you a "HS" - House Skip. The big loops down the bottom are good in theory because they are long and provide ample space for new houses, but they are too hard to get to - half the time the house building algorithm loops back on itself or ends up in the lake! For comparison, the classic 2x2 or 3x3 square grid layouts will only loop back about 10% of the time.

Following on from the above, I would also recommend choosing a starting town with a 4-way main intersection, and never one that is blocked on one side by water (or mountain/industry etc.).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThePhoenix

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Question about mail -- and grid - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.