Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rule 3, Is this blocking? 11 years 11 months ago #868

Curious if this is considered blocking, rule 3, or not. Red station and rails were down, then this Yellow player raised the ground at the SE exit of it and laid a useless station. This cut off the SE exit of the Red station. Another showed up facing downwards a little ways to the SE. These Yellow stations serve no business or town. I zoomed out so you can clearly see, they are there for no purpose, but maybe a transfer of goods.

10mil in the hole at the onset and not fairing to well, as the popups show, I wasn't playing to win at this point, just to lay nice tracks, and hope for the best. As my mainline factory poofed, shortly after completion. So is this a questionable action by the yellow player? Fair play? Or just griefing? At the time this blockaid showed up I noticed a lot of high value resources sitting around unhauled. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash to waste like this yellow player or I would have built out to them.

Why not go for them high yield resources, Yellow? Why grief, Yellow? Wins shouldn't be that important. Yellow was corrected earlier by cxc for station spread, so I figured something like this would happen. Cannot say it was unexpected. Take care.

• Knutor
  • Knutor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Knutor.

Re: Rule 3, Is this blocking? 11 years 11 months ago #870

To be fair it looks like Findinghall Heights has a toffee industry there as I can see the shadow. It appears to connected to the sweet factory as well as the candyfloss. Doesn't look like he bought the trains for it at the moment in time though.

I don't want to said harsh but there is still plenty of room to use the SE exit of your station using a 45 degree bend then either connect to your mainline or tunnel your way out.

While annoying as it is having to build around other players that are so close to your own company. It is part of the multiplayer experience.

Of course call me or use the !admin trigger whilst in game so we can verify the situation and come up with the best solution.
  • cxc
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 35

Re: Rule 3, Is this blocking? 11 years 11 months ago #871

I don't see a shadow to a toffee factory, that is prolly the glaring issue. And if that is a toffee factory, isn't there plenty of room elsewhere to snatch it up at? I mean, he didn't have to plot it, and build/buy the HILL right infront of my exit rails.

I left transparency on, oops.

Thanks for the clarification cxc, never noticed that shadow or that toffee factory. I still have a hard time seeing it. I guess that's part of the multiplayer experience. Just was a little shocked at how fast it occured. I build the red one, then not two full minutes later, as I was fixing the exit and laying track, plop an entire station fell right down infront of me, but not after the ground all got misshappened and apparently owned. That of course happened first. My rail would fit, cept he owned those blocks with his angled turn upwards.

I disagree with you. It does block it, unless I destroy my station, those crossover exit lines are needed for two lane choosing to occur without a 90 turn. If that wasn't necessary I wouldn't be here. See I went down straight from the other exit, and eventually was planning to do the same there, as a work around, but just decided to give in, instead. Felt like a dead horse.

The player made slopes serve no purpose, either. My rails out, wouldn't bend, he had bought those hillsides when he built them, it said. See his hillside station sloping down to the the red station exit tracks. Why'd he put it up on a hill, to save diesel and increase speed? Being 10+mil ahead, I just don't see that as a valid point. In a year or two, he was going to win.

Why'd he have to go and kick a dead horse? I don't get it, with all that other open map, he had to plot it there. Just 2 players in the world. Seems like poor sportsmanship to me. If it is not a rule violation.

Thanks, Knutor
  • Knutor

Re: Rule 3, Is this blocking? 11 years 11 months ago #877

Knutor wrote: I disagree with you. It does block it, unless I destroy my station, those crossover exit lines are needed for two lane choosing to occur without a 90 turn. If that wasn't necessary I wouldn't be here. See I went down straight from the other exit, and eventually was planning to do the same there, as a work around, but just decided to give in, instead. Felt like a dead horse.

I find it hard to understand this complaint, From looking at the image I cant really tell what you are planning to do with this station, and I wouldn't expect the yellow player to know either. Yes you might have a plan thought out in your head which is now impossible, but adapting to a changing environment IS part of playing multiplayer.

Knutor wrote: The player made slopes serve no purpose, either.

Yes it could be argued this design is over-complex and unnecessary, but in all fairness the same could be said of the way you were planning to use this station. (sorry if that sounds harsh, but a single side entrance/exit will work fine, there are other ways to make an efficient station design)

Knutor wrote:
Why'd he put it up on a hill, to save diesel and increase speed? Being 10+mil ahead, I just don't see that as a valid point. In a year or two, he was going to win.

Why'd he have to go and kick a dead horse? I don't get it, with all that other open map, he had to plot it there. Just 2 players in the world. Seems like poor sportsmanship to me. If it is not a rule violation.

I honestly dont think there was any intention you ruin your game, and as for kicking a dead horse... I think it unlikely the player was even thinking about 'winning' in the sense of beating you, probably just thinking about trying to finish in the quickest time they could to beat a personal best, or score more points.

I do understand frustration of playing against far faster players, but I have found playing against better opponents is the best chance to learn something new and improve my own game, if i'm really impressed by someones network I will sometimes save the game and play around with it offline to understand it better.

I hope this helps in some way :)

Re: Rule 3, Is this blocking? 11 years 11 months ago #879

Thanks for the reply. Those are things I already do to improve my game. I'm just not fast, guess here is where I pay for that.

Still all the same, yellow's actions appear to me like the actions of a punk, he had to see my rails going down. But now, thanks to the sharp eyes of cxc, its not illogical. His actions unsporting as they appear to me, make sense. Griefing, no. Blocking, no.

For the record, I wouldn't do this to you. Even after an admin action, I'd take it in stride, and move on. After all, there are plenty of other toffee mines to be had, in that game alone, 4 or so.

Knutor
  • Knutor

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Rule 3, Is this blocking? - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.