Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Suggesting a rule/guideline about rail/road cross 9 years 11 months ago #2981

Hello. Me (Samu) and ST2 and previously Big_D had talks about the issue about rails and roads crossing each other, which I consider unfair.

The rules do not clearly defend rails being allowed to cross roads, but it also does not prevent it from happening. There's also another factor of what is considered intentional sabotage to what is considered accidental.

My approach was to create an etiquete kind of rule or guideline, coming from the "Crossings are first come first served" and expand it to rail/road, not just rail/rail. The first player to come with the road would suggest that the second player would have to make a rail bridge for his trains, and vice-versa, the first with the rail would suggest that the second player would have to build a road bridge for his road vehicles.

Main problem, as discussed with ST2, is that admins won't necessarily have enough ways to verify who was first or who was second, so this would only serve as guidance / netiquete to players respect each other.

Hope you agree with this amendment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank
  • Xarick
  • Xarick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Suggesting a rule/guideline about rail/road cross 9 years 11 months ago #2982

hello :)

The rules do not clearly defend rails being allowed to cross roads, but it also does not prevent it from happening. There's also another factor of what is considered intentional sabotage to what is considered accidental.

Intentional sabotage (eg, a train destroying RV's, with only that purpose) is already covered by our rule 5, therefore, NOT allowed.

As already talked with Xarick (Samu), there's no way to implement a rule forcing players to make bridges over existent roads... And while some players demand diagonal crossings between rails and roads, Samu wants to disable them... It's always hard to keep all players happy ^^
And as I already said too, it's already an "etiquete" action of a player make bridges over existent roads, when possible (not always, as we know), but not a forced action. And theresn't even an effective way of advertise that to players.

So, that leaves us 3 solutions:
1 - keep it as it's now, and since don't enter rule 5 borders, it's part of the game rails have advantages/priorities on crossings (a bit like in real life);
2 - make an amendment saying preciselly that: rails have priorities over roads (ages of both doesn't matter);
3 - tell players to use available resources (rail, roads, air or ships) to reach the server goal;

... off course, all 3 above options since respecting our current server rules.

As a player, I've already saw and been on both sides... trains that destroy other players RV's (not intentionally) and my RV's destroyed by other player trains (not intentionally too) so, since tracks (doesn't matter the kind) are built by a player for goal objective, not intentionally sabotaging crossings are part of the game. Players can talk to get a mutual benefict solution... part of the game too.

Note: sabotage is the biggest word here, in concept from what can be included there, in global words: when you take actions that don't benefict your company to achieve goal and directly harm other companies thar are "fighting" for the same.

well, it's a bit (a huge bit) of my way of seeing things, any opinions are welcome :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.025 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Suggesting a rule/guideline about rail/road cross - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.