Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2131

Well claiming land in your town actually hinders your town growth significantly, so really its not a good thing to do. So really you do not need to reserve land in your claimed town at all but if you wish to do that, you can place your stations down where you want them as there is no rule about having an unused station on the map.

Remember towns like to grow out in all directions so if you hinder one side of your town or have stations inside your town you are taking up vaulable space, so instead of a new building being constructed, you end up getting small houses getting replaced with bigger ones, or bigger ones getting replaced to small houses. Both is unwanted in the early to mid game as the best way to play citybuilder is by increasing your house count as much as you can rather than just going for population.

Hope this helps :)
  • cxc
  • cxc's Avatar Topic Author
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 35

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2142

Thanks for the response, however, I still don't really understand why it should be illegal to reserve land in my own town. I fully understand the reasoning that reserving land stifles growth (under some circumstances really - not at all for the purposes I am talking about), but for the smaller city-builders having unserviced station might do even worse damage to city growth. If I choose to reserve land and it causes my town not to grow, that should be my choice, not the rules to determine that.

All of this is a technicality, because I often see people reserving land in their own town and since I don't believe that this should be against the rules (nor does it give other players unfair advantage over my game), I just don't report it and I don't see anyone else reporting it. I just think the rules should also sometimes reflect players' playing style rather than always be the determinant.

I still really enjoy these servers and waste a huge amount of time here!!!

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2147

Well as I have mentioned to people the rules were altered to stop the wide spread abuse from players. But let's go through your post.

Well since you say that you would rather reserve land than building a future train station then explain to me why you need to reserve the land in the first place? Because in all honesty you never need to reserve land in any OpenTTD game you play. You say it is in the nature of your gameplay, but this nature only occurred because we used to allow it, therefore gameplay styles can be changed in order to cope with changing rules.

The thing is about CityBuilder is that you only should be delivering cargo into your town including passengers and mail, it is not beneficial to remove passengers and mail from your town at all. With that in mind you only need to construct stations on the outskirts of your town. Then when the town grows you move the stations further away to create more space for buildings to be built. This method is now being the current trend for a lot of experienced players as this allows for the fastest server times.

But if you think that not allowing players to reserve tiles of land in your claimed town is such a terrible thing then you will have to convince the majority of the BTPro adminstration team before any change can take place. However the concenus is that reserving land is wrong in all cases.

So before any change takes place, the current BTPro rule set is in force. Everyone will need to comply with the rules or run the risk of having your company reset if you do not remove the reserved land.

Regards,

cxc
Server Admin
  • cxc

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2150

well build rails there, this rule doesnt suit me well too as I use land reserve marks to prevent town from building houses where I will have road later but looks like we will have to get used to it
  • lightekk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2151

Okay, hang on a minute. You are making many assumptions here - I never spoke about train stations, I never spoke of building stations in the city centre. All this points to a very different game playing style which is what I am getting at. Just because you are able to play without reserving land, doesn't mean everyone does - just because you build train stations, doesn't mean that I want to build train stations.

I simply do not understand how anyone can abuse the reserving of land in their own town? Your entire post and the previous one tries to explain to me how you play the game and where I should and shouldn't be building stations. Rules should not determine style. (Also, you would see that I am doing pretty well with Citybuilder - and this is mostly without reserving land - however, my point is that many people like to do that for whatever reason. If there is no abuse that could follow from allowing players from reserving land in their own towns - then it shouldn't be disallowed).

Saying that because you can complete the game without reserving land is a reason to have this rule in place is the same as saying that you should ban trains from the 4k citybuilder, because it's possible to easily complete it with only road vehicles. It's one of many approaches to play the game.

I'm not saying its impossible to play without reserving land, but when I'm short of money, it's 10x cheaper to reserve land to building a road and 20x cheaper compared to building a station, so guess what I would like to do? I simply want to have the option to do this.

The only reason I pointed this out is that I've been following a few top city-builder players recently and noticed that most of them reserve land. It's not anti-competitive and I don't think it should be against the rules.

Saying we should build roads, stations or rails there doesn't really do it for me. If I could build a station there, why can't I just reserve it instead for later? It's my town and nobody else can build there anyway. I just want to protect the space from the town (and other players may have other motivations).

Edit: when I finished writing that, I logged into server #15 and immediately saw 2 players who reserved land in their own towns. Should I report this?

Last edit: by Mulder. Reason: Added details of how frequently it's used (and ignored)

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2154

I understand fully the pros and cons of reserving land however my personal stance and the consensus from the BTPro Adminstration team still stands.

Everyone will need to comply with the rules or run the risk of having your company reset if you do not remove the reserved land when asked. If the same players are persistent in breaking this rule then they may be reset instantly so it is your risk if you wish to land reserve.

Thank you,

cxc
Server Admin
  • cxc

Time to create page: 0.030 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Rules updated to v1.3 - Page 2 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.