Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2155

Just a line from sir MulderĀ“s post a page back "Sometimes I like to reserve land in my claimed town in order to keep space for future stations... "

True is I can build the roads right away (and not reserve land for them). I am not trying to defend post about using another game style but I think in this case it is possible.

Also if it is not in the city center I dont see any reason to reserve land for it. And yes it is a hell lot cheaper, but why not using something like this: bayimg.com/HaPCeaaef , btw how bad will your company have to be that you couldnt afford a train station?

I hope attachments work. My point is what company do you have if you can not afford something like this.
  • lightekk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by lightekk.

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2156

I got a few things to add to the discussion.

First of all, taking the exceptions away from own towns, makes for clearer rules. Land claiming is alway illegal, station spreading is always illegal. There is no grey area, which means rules are easier to understand, easier to play by and definitely easier for server operators to check and act on.

Second. I don't see why you would need to claim or reserve land. RV stations can be built on roads (they are also far more efficient than the original type of RV station). As cxc also said before, stations near the centre that aren't on roads, take up valuable space and slow down growth drastically, which I doubt you want :P. The point is, if you want train stations in the future, you should be able to build them on places where your town hasn't built yet. RV stations can be built on roads and you definitely don't want an airport blocking your growth (in the 25k CBs).
If you want to reserve for future roads, there's an even better way, just build road pieces till the edge of the tile. Towns won't build at dead ends of streets. They will build if the street ends in the middle of a tile, not if it ends at the edge. That way you don't have to buy land on the places where you want to build a road later.

My first point is most important to the reasons behind the rule and why I (and with me most of the operators, afaik) agree with the rule. The second point is just to dispute the statements made that landclaiming is essential to Citybuilding. I consider myself to be a fairly good CB-player and I've never reserved land and never felt I would benefit from it if I did.
  • vGelder
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 55

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2157

(I am talking about the exception of towns here to be honest)

I don't think the motivation for (or not for) reserving land should really matter. Either way, if in own town, it is not anti-competitive and doesn't affect anyone.

I pointed out that on server #15 two players currently have reserved land and they still do. Two admins responded to this in the meantime and the land is still reserved, so I'll take that as a sign.

An earlier response of "stick to the rules or risk your company reset" doesn't really reflect another statement saying that rules are there to be discussed. I think that, unless clarified or okay'ed by admins, any rule preventing me from reserving land in my own town (for any reason I wish) is unfair. It may not have to be in the official ruleset if the wording is too long, but then just say it's okay and will be ignored - you won't have your entire company reset because you reserved some land in a place where no other player can build.

Last edit: by Mulder.

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2158

I never said that reasons to claim matter.

You are completely ignoring my first and most important point of my post.

The second point is just to help out, by stating some other options you have. Just saying that you don't need it to play a fast, (near) perfect game on any of the CB servers.

But I'll happily repeat the first part of my post again.

First of all, taking the exceptions away from own towns, makes for clearer rules. Land claiming is alway illegal, station spreading is always illegal. There is no grey area, which means rules are easier to understand, easier to play by and definitely easier for server operators to check and act on.
  • vGelder

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2159

And responding to server 15.
I didn't find any admin calls, so nobody actually reported it. We can't be watching all players on all servers all the time. I just explained the red player the rules about land claiming and said player is no longer claiming land.
The rule didn't get changed just for fun, it is there to be played by, so please do.
  • vGelder

Rules updated to v1.3 10 years 6 months ago #2160

I'm not ignoring your first post, my ENTIRE complaint about the rules is that for *own towns* in City Builder, I think it's stupid and pointless to have a rule which prohibits reserving land. It's not anti-competitive and doesn't give anyone unfair advantage and it's not "not in the spirit of the game"...which is why rules are there. (I fully and completely understand why the rules are there for anywhere else in the game).

Sadly, I watched the rules on server #15 being applied and it's just wrong. Why should someone's playing style be affected because of a rule which is being justified by other people's playing style (e.g. just place a road, railway or just demolish the building)? Red did not gain unfair advantage by claiming land, they did not prevent another player from doing anything they could normally do and there was nothing done which was not in the spirit of the game, yet, they were told that claiming land in their own town was against the rules.

I've been playing a lot on these servers lately (I even recently installed the BTPro client) and after reading a few weeks ago that rules could be discussed, I thought I found the server for me (so much so that I was willing to donate money, I was actually just waiting for all my bills to be paid this month). Clearly not - I'm still to see any reasonable argument as to why claiming land in your own town should not be allowed, which is what I questioned in the first place. The most reasonable argument seems to be that if I do choose to reserve land in my own town, then admin might reset my company - that's it - no discussing - just stick to the rules because admin decided and don't want to listen to the players. :(

I simply do not see why not being allowed to play the way in which I want to (as long as I respect other players and do not gain an unfair advangtage) should not be allowed. What's the next rule change to be implemented which players are not allowed to question?

I really think admin should listen to players rather than trying to alienate them with rules which simply make no sense in some circumstances.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Rules updated to v1.3 - Page 3 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.