Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Where has the topic gone? 8 years 10 months ago #4416

New posts were made today in thread " Warning to users: 1.4.4 client cannot be trusted" and they grouped under title " Warning to users: 1.5.1 client cannot be trusted ", where ST2 accused Myhorta of breaking GPL licence.

Similar topic was started at reddit openttd at
www.reddit.com/r/openttd/comments/39zh1t...source_distribution/
, where is nicely proved, that Myhorta did not break GPL licence, just made some mistake by patching wrong OpenTTD source (trunk instead 1.5.1, thus the desyncs), which can probably any thinking person realize.

Now I ask why BTPro admins removed the posts? Was it because it put one of admins in the bad light? I could say ST removed them himself, but I can only guess that since I can't verify it by any means.
So respecful member of n-ice friendly community was falsely accused, incriminated public posts removed, but no public apology made from accusator. It's just the same ST bullshit as some of us experienced before.

With all that, and as one of two members of Novapolis development team and as its major maintainer I feel quite uncomfortably that ST takes part in organizing Novapolis tribute event. The idea for event is really great and I am grateful for that, but what I would not like is that it would be anyhow connected with people who shed dirt amongs OpenTTD communities. In past month ST was fine, but his today's actions showed there is still some grieve.
I guess we can all give second chances, but when someone insults others without apologizing and tries to hide it by deleting posts, that's intolerable and I cannot stand it.

I am also forced to backup this post, so I can repost it in case it's deleted again :-(
Admin of Novapolis OpenTTD servers, www.novapolis.net
  • TheDude
  • TheDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novapolis admin
  • Thank you received: 11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where has the topic gone? 8 years 10 months ago #4417

yes, I've hidden the posts (not deleted) because of several reasons; the main is that I agreed with Myhorta to keep it on neutral ground.

About the Novapolis tribute event, was a team's idea and I've only merged the gamescript and created the necessary stuff for testing it. Taking that, it was basically the intervention I made, despite the fact that I'd agreed!
The_Dude, I don't want to make you uncomfortable at any point, specially the time you only have free to post things on my direction.
I'll take the backfire and if apologies needed, will be directed to who I made the accusation. And wasn't you The_Dude!
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Where has the topic gone? 8 years 10 months ago #4418

Perhaps you should explain more to oblivious people.

What neutral ground you talked about? You mean similar thread on reddit OpenTTD? By hiding the posts you hide link to that, so no one can knew what you meant.
And if you wanted it neutral, why did you start with it here on BTPro in the first place? Where is the logic in that? How am I not to think that you hide it just because it was obvious you made another slander?

Sure, you don't accuse me, but you accused someone else publicly, not in private, but before the eyes of everybody who make it in time to read the post (Myhorta, me, Emperor and Chucky at least). Thus any apology should be automatically public too, so the name of accused is cleaned. You failed to do that, again.

If you can't take adequate responsibility for your stupid posts then just, please, shut up next time.
Admin of Novapolis OpenTTD servers, www.novapolis.net
  • TheDude
  • TheDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novapolis admin
  • Thank you received: 11

Where has the topic gone? 8 years 10 months ago #4420

ST2 wrote: yes, I've hidden the posts (not deleted) because of several reasons; the main is that I agreed with Myhorta to keep it on neutral ground.

ST2, you have hidden the whole topic - that looks like censored.

Better way should be to merge the concerned posts to a new topic or ... however, to hide all topics is much better :cheer:

Edit: Just noticed that latest posts are hidden only. Topic is available.
Edit2: Move my post to topic "scads of out-takes" :P
  • Chucky
  • n-ice admin
  • Thank you received: 10

Last edit: by Chucky. Reason: See post

Where has the topic gone? 8 years 10 months ago #4421

after talk with Chucky, HSquishy and couple other people (still missing a good chat with Frank), my other post was not trolling, was fundamented. Now that all changes were push'ed, all cool by me. Chucky: not "censored", only was useless have same discussion on 2 places.
planetmaker cleared the things and I said what I had to say, on a neutral site, Myhorta's suggestion that I'd agreed. To interested ones about it, read here .

Since GPL 2.0 is way huge, and I've learnt alot latest months about it, and some main ideas was left from who, for sure, know it better then me:

- You are not required to ship the source code along with the binary. However you have to ship the source code by the same means you ship the binaries. Thus if you offer the binaries for download it's good practise to ship the exact corresponding source code also from the very same place.
- Only providing a repository can make it difficult to find the corresponding source code to a provided binary - it depends on how things are handled and named mostly. It is generally considered good practise (and it can be argued required, see FAQ linke below) to offer both, binary and corresponding source as tar ball in the same place(...).
- (...)Just posting a patch does not constitute as "providing the source". It's merely tolerated in some limited cases.(...)

All replies about this are available here: www.reddit.com/r/openttd/comments/39zh1t...source_distribution/

And after all changes were push'ed, and all corrected, the words I have to say are: "My deep appologies to Myhorta". I would like to suggest too that each binary have a way to reach that exact codechanges that created that particular executable (a ReadMe.txt with it, maybe). Maybe not a GPL violation, but clearly a flaw, not clear to players that want to download the code and use it to build that particular binary.

I already made some adjustements for our next client release to avoid argue points. Thank you very much for the patience.
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Where has the topic gone? - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.