Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Leaving game, but letting company do its thing? 11 years 9 months ago #897

Hey, I am wondering whether my company will be booted if I leave game for a certain amount of time? The reason I ask is because I have the awesome opportunity to play while at work, and plan to do so after coming home, preferably in the same game. If I for example were to start a game at 1500 mill server, then disconnect for a couple of hours I could still join the company again after arriving at my own home computer?

If companies get booted with zero players active - how long does it take before this happens?

I hope I am making myself clear.. :P
  • Dagern
  • Dagern's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Leaving game, but letting company do its thing? 11 years 9 months ago #905

There is an autoclean function built into the servers that starts counting the moment you leave your company (i.e. quit ottd).

Password protected companies are safe from being "booted" for 5 in game years which is over an hour in real time.

Non-password protected companies are safe from being "booted" for 1 in game year (12 months).

So if you don't live far from work you could do it but remember to set a password and login in before you quit. There can be issues sometimes due to the change in IP address.

P.S. Getting to play ottd at work :O Lucky! :)
  • cxc
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 35

Re: Leaving game, but letting company do its thing? 11 years 7 months ago #1134

Is it possible to change this settings?
Yesterday at long server I created very good company with 100 trains, but I really wanted to sleep and leave the laptop turned on went to sleep. In the morning for some reason there was a disconnect from the game and as a result of my company is zero, which is not very good.
So is it possible to change this rule for password protected companies, for example if value of company greater than 100 million it wouldn't be reset?

Re: Leaving game, but letting company do its thing? 11 years 7 months ago #1157

you have to understand. that we are renting a server that we host all the 10 openttd servers we have online.

also it is quite possibly someone won before you woke up again. but in general. expecting your company to still be there after you go to sleep is not something you should place a las vegas bet on :)

in the future start a game on a quick server and finish before you go to sleep ^^ and do long games when you have days with more than an hour of sparetime :)

(or consider single player:) we host competitive servers with goal features not just a sandbox adventure for each and one of you :)
Keeping BTPro.nl servers troll and cheat-free! beware!
  • Ivanoz
  • There is no spoon!
  • Thank you received: 2

Re: Leaving game, but letting company do its thing? 10 years 6 months ago #2243

but?
how about the ultimate goal of the game?!
it is a strategy game! not a shooter nor an arcade!

the art of this game is making SELF SUSTAINABLE COMPANIES.

the entire gameplay is a management process,
and once one succeed in management, with the profitable company that can really win a game, you boot him.

Last edit: by Silly Sad.

Leaving game, but letting company do its thing? 10 years 6 months ago #2245

You can do something else in the meantime, just leave OTTD running. You can be AFK for hours, as long as OTTD is running and you're still in your company.

There's only a limited amount of slots available for companies, people who go offline and stay away for a while, lose their company to make place for others. I don't even know if it's possible to have all kinds of conditions attached to the resetting, like over a certain company value or something, but I would be against it.

Most of our servers can be done in a few hours time, a little longer if you don't actually build all the time, but all but 1 can easily be done without having to go to sleep before you leave. As for other activities (and even sleeping actually) you can leave your OTTD running.

A last point, you or another company could reach the goal before you wake up again, since you're not online and in your company, you won't score points.

So, the solution is, stay online or don't leave for a longer time. As said before, if you play at location A and want to continue a little later at location B, make sure you're logged in, have a password-protected company and the time between leaving and entering again shouldn't be too long. By typing !resetinfo ingame you can find out after what time your company will be reset. Remember a year takes just over 13 minutes and calculate how long you have time to be away for.
  • vGelder
  • Thank you received: 55

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Leaving game, but letting company do its thing? - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.