Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Define the definition of Spreading? 9 years 2 weeks ago #4149

Commodore it's quite simple.

Admins make the rules, and thus admins interpret the rules, not players.

An admin told you you were breaking the rules. You disagree, post on the forum, fine. Another admin tells you the first admin was correct. The rule should be self explanatory, and tbh, to most players it is.

This means, that we are not wrong, you are. Case closed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank, dodger007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Hawky.

Define the definition of Spreading? 9 years 2 weeks ago #4150

In which case, it is my view that you are both wrong. If the sole reason to justify a length based train is that it docks in a station which matches it's length. This would make a mockery of the rule, for all trains and stations can range from 1 tile to the max (in this case) of 20.

There is no purpose in sending a 20 tile train to a 1 tile station and visa versa however a 4 tr x 7 tile station would have easily met you needs, in both coverage and train capacities.

By highlighting that the 20 tile train is justified because of it's station which it must use. Then we could all make maximum stations to allow this to happen, this also gives rise to the notion that, given time, even 20x20 stations could be fully utilised if, some of those tracks were used as transfer stations (Providing of course they don't dare spread).

The cost of a 20x20 would make building one at the start of the game impossible but by the time you could afford one you might well need one for your train.

I don't tow any particular line but I have to moderate all players the same It's not one rule for one and another for others. There are so many different building tactics it is sometimes hard to understand what the player is trying to achieve. I do understand you logic, i do not doubt that you did not feel it was spreading. But 1 smaller station could have covered the 2 mines comfortably.

Define the definition of Spreading? 9 years 2 weeks ago #4152

"If the sole reason to justify a length based train is that it docks in a station which matches it's length"

Even if it was the sole reason, it would just be the reason for the rule, i dont really know what that has to do with mockery. Tbh, i dont have an answer to that, because it would make a mockery of this whole thread... Oh wait....

Define the definition of Spreading? 9 years 2 weeks ago #4153

Ok, I've read it all and think both sides make some valid points.

I think that if a player wants 5-tile trains instead of 7 or 20 tile trains, that's ofcourse the player's choice, I can even see why you would do that when money is ok and mainline capacity is high enough and without slowdowns.

Now, I do believe that this station was extremely wide and I seriously doubt that you'd be needing all platforms. So there was a double mainline, that splits into two forced depots. That's all pretty much standard. I just don't see them needing 3 or even 4 platforms per entrance. Unless you have about 10-15 trains more than you need on that line, which would just be trying to cover up the fact that you're spreading.

So I, personally as admin, don't really care if you want your station to be wider than it's longer, and I could see you wanting like a 5 long and 8 wide station, but I do believe that in this case, it was just too wide and I feel like you did base the width of the station mostly on it covering both mines, instead of how you wanted your station to function. But hey, I could be wrong, I know it's also about fun railing, and pretty lines with a lot of players and I understand that.

What I don't get is why you didn't just get that double mainline, split it into 4 forced depots and that into 8 platforms, and then just put a transferstation next to it and connect a few more mines from a little further. Because there's just no way that the station you built is ever going to be at capacity with only 2 mines, even if they produce about 1k each monthly.

On a final note I must say, that I don't like your attitude at some points. Admins here aren't 'towing the BTPro line', we're not here to annoy players, or to get them because it's fun, or whatever you, and others before you, might think of us. We're here, in our spare time, trying our best to be as fair as possible. Players are not always making it easy for us, there's always players going into grey areas, trying to bend the rules, trying to stretch the rules. And those same players almost without exception, are also the ones going into lengthy discussions. And please, don't take this personally, because this isn't adressed at you personally Commodore, but I really, really strongly dislike it when admins of this community get falsely accused of stuff. Yes you can discuss our interpretations of the rules with us (preferably on the forum, not ingame) and yes we value input. But this doesn't mean that if this input doesn't get implemented, that we're towing the BTPro line, or are out there to make life miserable on the players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank, dodger007, Hawky
  • vGelder
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 55

Define the definition of Spreading? 9 years 2 weeks ago #4155

I made a quick read of all replies and I guess some players don't understand that admins can figure out why some station layouts are made in some specific ways.

What I ask is: When making a station, why you that layout/size? The answer itself explains player intentions and admins know it too. Admins are players at 1st instance!

So, to clear it: Commodore, can you explain to me ? Because I would understand that station layout ONLY if a min 28 trains use it (4 entry, 2 exit lanes - that wasn't for high traffic!!). Was that the case? (in screenshot there's not even 1 train - what was the server goal, 30 trillions?)

Personally, ingame, I'll do it with a 7x3, with a transfer station. And I bet that would give better results that the bluberish screenshot station shown, but still I made the questions above.

Note: I'd like that Commodore answer my 3 above questions (sarcastic question doesn't count), specifically! In the meantime I'll ask other ppl to let me answer 1st on Commodore's reply, please!

Edit: post posted after vGelder's reply appeared
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Last edit: by ST2.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Define the definition of Spreading? - Page 2 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.