Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rule 7 9 years 2 months ago #3912

Rule #7

Do not station spread with airports, docks, train or road vehicle stations to extend coverage area to additional resources including towns and cities unfairly.

I respect the rules,And in case of the city. The first thing i did was to remove the station, and then i started asking questions. But as you can see, This rule clearly doesn't state that you have to make them in 1 and only one shape, And everything else is spreading. If there is only one industry neaby i should be allowed to make my station in any shape i like. As long I don't spread. you guys say esthetics isn't a real argument, But it seems like that is the only you guys have, You are dictating a certain way of building a station, because you think that is the right way, and everyone should build it like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RipRinus.

Rule 7 9 years 2 months ago #3913

RipRinus wrote: ST2, i shaped them like that because, i don´t know if you ever really looked at a trainstation in real life, you would notice, they are all kinda shaped like that, so what you call irregular, i call absolutely normal

I'm sorry, but I've heard stuff like that so many times by people that are breaking the rules, or are trying to bend them. They bring up realism, real world stuff, it makes me laugh, hard.

In the real world, stations don't have a square catchment area either, it's what the spreading is about, so yet again, a flawed argument.

If I lived 5 squares away from the closest trainstation, that would mean I would be completely unable to use the train at all :ohmy:
I must be so lucky that I literally live around the corner from a trainstation, or I would never be able to travel to friends and family, since I don't own a car.

And yes, I'm starting to get very sarcastic, because I'm getting sick and tired of people trying to bend the rules and arguing over what they think the rules should be, usually endlessly, not wanting to compromise themselves, but expecting the rules to be changed to what they want them to be. Most of the topics in this section probably are about it, or started like it. Station spreading definetely being number 1.
  • vGelder
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 55

Last edit: by vGelder. Reason: Added quote to show to which post it was a response

Rule 7 9 years 2 months ago #3914

RipRinus wrote: Rule #7

Do not station spread with airports, docks, train or road vehicle stations to extend coverage area to additional resources including towns and cities unfairly.

I respect the rules,And in case of the city. The first thing i did was to remove the station, and then i started asking questions. But as you can see, This rule clearly doesn't state that you have to make them in 1 and only one shape, And everything else is spreading. If there is only one industry neaby i should be allowed to make my station in any shape i like. As long I don't spread. you guys say esthetics isn't a real argument, But it seems like that is the only you guys have, You are dictating a certain way of building a station, because you think that is the right way, and everyone should build it like that.

That's just drawing a straight line in the proverbial sand. Your station in the city did spread to more of the city than it would've in a normal 2x5. And I literally said that I wouldn't have made a big deal about 1 station near 1 farm. And I actually didn't, but when you started asking questions about the why, that's when I included the part where you can't do them at all. It's because if people think it's alright to do it in one place, they think it's alright to do it everywhere. "But he is doing it there, so why can't I do it here".

If you remember, I only told you about the station in that city, where it caught my attention when fixing a rulebreak from someone else that influenced you and you called an admin for.

But you've had your moment to put your arguments out here, two admins (and I can assure you that there are more, if not all, that will agree) have declined your arguments. Maybe the rule isn't 100% clear, it's impossible to fit them in a readable amount while being specific about everything. But the admins are there to clear them up for you if needed, which I think we did more than just a little bit by now.
If this isn't satisfactory, I would say that you should perhaps go and find another community or server to play at, or play singleplayer. I want players to be able to voice any concerns, tips and suggestions about the rules, the servers and the admins, which I think is all possible. And the admin team isn't here to protect each other and make life miserable for all the players (which you didn't claim, but was claimed before in similar situations), so if an admin did something wrong, or made a mistake, or if the admin team agrees that something might need to be changed, it will be done. But in this case, nothing of the stuff I mentioned is the case and we're not changing the rule. I'm willing to atleast discuss maybe putting in a short sentence about non-uniformity of stations to clear that part up, but I'm afraid that's it on this matter.
  • vGelder
  • Thank you received: 55

Last edit: by vGelder.

Rule 7 9 years 2 months ago #3915

Well I think this rule is one of the hard ones to understand fully.

Because lets say I do like, vGelder and make the 5 tiles station and put a 5 tiles to go to that one. Next to the 5 I make a 7 tiles station and make a 7 tiles train go to that one. And to make the line better I add a bus-stop and a cargo station in line. This will not be spreading! because I use them all and I have a limit on how big i can make it.

That´s how I understand the rule.

All servers have a limit on the Spreading and if all stations is linked to the next (no free space be twine) and they all get used, I cant see the problem in build the station how you like. You can turn and bend this rule many times to get what you want. But I think you will get a hard time telling players on the big server that they are spreading if that 5+5 is breaking the rule. The stations on the big servers have a limits on 20x20 or 25x25 and I see some funny stations on thees servers from time to time. They will all break this rule then. I´m just saying.

The limit on the server tells you how big you can build your station or your linked types of stations. If this is not the case you need a rule more that tells us how we are aloud to build stations, and a lot of new players will be breaking this rule until they get to know it.

This was not to say anything agents the rules we have now, because they are okay and fair but just to give this post a new angel that have not been spoken about. :huh:

Cya in game

Rule 7 9 years 2 months ago #3916

well, that's more then enough for me, i dont want to change the rules, it is just my opinion that the rule is way to wide open for interpretation. And it should not be.

So, with much regret, I won't build them like that anymore.

Thanks for the clarity on this
The following user(s) said Thank You: ST2

Rule 7 9 years 2 months ago #3919

i concur.

the server's "hard"-limit for station spread actually tells us EVERYTHING, and makes real distinction between "allowed" and "disallowed".

i once had broke the Rule 7 myself, when i was a beginner too :)
the funny part is that i did not use fictional "bus-stations", but some tiles specifically desined FOR SPREADING AND NOTHING ELSE:
there are some decorative station tiles in FIRS, that do not accept any transport, but cargo -- thinking of an intended purpose for these tiles i deduced "spreading", and then i fell into herecy: if something is allowed in my client software and perfectly accessible (not grayed out) in the UI, then it must be perfectly legal on the server-side -- that was A BIG MISTAKE.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Rule 7 - Page 3 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.