Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: station spread definition 10 years 11 months ago #1762

Care has to be taken not to draw a vague line and ban all the players on one side of it because you do not have time for discussion. It's not as easy as it seems to be. Users sometimes make bigger stations out of sheer inefficiency. For example, a single-line ro-ro with 10 platforms. That station has a large coverage radius, but does not use all it's platforms, ever, because the line can't support that much traffic.

In relation to CB servers spreading as such may need an update. And it can get you quite an advantage by using less vehicles. Then again on these CB servers people rarely hit vehicle limits on trains.

Edit: Take a look at these pictures.

http://bayimg.com/HaLmGAAEm

http://bayimg.com/haLMhaaem

http://bayimg.com/hAlmIAaEm

http://bayimg.com/hALMkAAem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Aphid.

station spread definition 10 years 7 months ago #2071

Quick clarification, since the rules have been updated - inside your own town, can you spread a railway station in order to get certain cargoes covered? On the server I've just finished one guy had his usual station, but then single tile platforms not connected to the network extending to give him mail coverage in his town. What is the position on this type of spreading?

ETA: This is on the citybuilder servers, btw!

Last edit: by Chizzle.

station spread definition 10 years 7 months ago #2074

Rule #8

Golden Rule of CityBuilder - Inside the borders of the town you claimed, self competition, land buying and limited road vehicle station spreading is allowed. Do not abuse. Play with intent of winning, do not merely grow up towns and cities then leave the game as this causes games to drag out unnecessarily for everyone.

In short, yes you can. Though with proper rail and transfer designs you do not need to spread in order to achieve this.
  • cxc
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 35

station spread definition 10 years 7 months ago #2075

cxc wrote: Rule #8

Golden Rule of CityBuilder - Inside the borders of the town you claimed, self competition, land buying and limited road vehicle station spreading is allowed. Do not abuse. Play with intent of winning, do not merely grow up towns and cities then leave the game as this causes games to drag out unnecessarily for everyone.

In short, yes you can. Though with proper rail and transfer designs you do not need to spread in order to achieve this.

This wasn't road vehicle spreading though, this was train station tiles. Is that still within the rules? And it would be nice, but there are some people who rather than planning would rather take the easy route which is why I don't think that rail station spreading should be okay in the claimed town.

station spread definition 10 years 6 months ago #2173

Because of the rules change we cant spread road vehicle stations in our city in CB. But what is the definition of station spread exactly? As I remember building road vehicle stations that are bigger than 3x3 is spreading and they have to be connected to each other. Is it right?
  • NaB
  • Thank you received: 6

station spread definition 10 years 6 months ago #2174

I interpret it like this:

Firstly, rule #8 clearly states that stations should be attached, so that's fairly simple to define.

Rule #7 doesn't state a size, but states that you shouldn't spread to extend coverage to additional resources (unfairly). So, I think there are the obvious cases: having a 3x3 road vehicle station with only 2 vehicles serving it, is obviously spreading because you aren't using it all but getting the benefit of a station with a bigger footprint. But, surely if I have a 3x5 road vehicle station with 65 road vehicles serving it, nobody can argue that it's spreading as it is simply impossible to have an effective delivery system with so many road vehicles to a 3x1 station.

It's not always that straight-forward to define rules and there are always exceptions which I suppose is where the discretion of administrators come in to apply the rules fairly which they seem to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ST2, dodger007

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 station spread definition - Page 2 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.