Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ranklist is not fair ATM. 9 years 3 months ago #3954

First thanks for the nice words ST2. And I´m helping BTpro servers to become more fair after a good talk with Frank yesterday.

Silly Sad:

Yes the vehicles are accounted in the company budget!
But to give a bonus to the players that also think a little about making there transport system more efficient, the BTpro servers need it. All BTpro servers have a limit of how many vehicles, trains, aircraft and ships you can use, this is an easy way to changed the difficulty on the servers. Because of this limit will the vehicles there is accounted for in the company budget not be calculated the way we want it. Changing the way the company budget is calculated will give us a other version of the game = less players on the server. Thats why one of the points that Btpro use to calculate how many points you get is the amount of vehicles you use. If we don´t use it will it be the same as removing the limits from the servers, because it will get to easy to get a good score!

Note:
The reason for this post was, that i dont think its fair how the servers is calculating the points if you look at CV vs CB servers. So the numbers used in the calculation for the vehicles might not be right. But this is one of the thinks I´m looking at at the moment.

In many cases are vehicles used to boost something. It can be city's, it can be transferring cargo short distance and so on. If you use it good, you will benefit from this boost, if you overdo it you will be inefficient. So why shout "Overdoers" get a double bonus just because they are fast at building stuff, They already get points for doing it fast. If you build something efficient and fast you are a good player and that means that you need more points.
The topic has been locked.

Ranklist is not fair ATM. 9 years 3 months ago #3958

I'd just like to make a few points, because I never said amount of vehicles says anything about effectiveness. I just said that it could say something about efficiency. For example; if you have less trains bringing in more money per year, your average train is more efficient.

I never said it needs to be in the scoring or anything, I just asked for Silly Sad to clear his statements up, because they weren't adding anything constructive to the discussion. Atleast not until I asked twice. So thanks Silly Sad and The_Dude for sharing your views, in a constructive way.

I personally wouldn't mind a few changes to the scoring, or making it publicly available. Although I don't mind it being held private either.

Getting to the point of this topic; I do think some of the CV servers are scored a bit low, I mean, it's not great playing for 1.5 hours on server 1 and getting some 18 points, while in 1 hour you can get 45 points on 15 or 15a.
I think the scoring for the 25k citybuilder is a little too high, might have something to do with the much higher goal value, compared to the 8k, even though it doesn't take a huge amount of effort more to get to 25k for an experienced player, especially in temperate climate. Which is why I think desert 25k scoring is alright, but temperate is overrated. Desert CB, especially the 25k one, is very intense playing and tiny mistakes can cost you minutes, while I feel that a few small mistakes on CV games have less effect.
That being said, I'd like to plead for a small increase on scoring on CV servers, combined with a small decrease (or penalty) on the 25k temperate CB. I feel like the other CB games have a nice scoring, especially if the CV get's a small increase.

Ofcourse I'm saying this without knowing about the scoring calculation or if it's easy or even possible to make changes like that. And secondly I'd like to add that I'm saying this as a player, personally, not as part of the admin team.
  • vGelder
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 55

you are looping in a circular argument 9 years 3 months ago #3960

"But to give a bonus to the players that also think a little about making there transport system more efficient"

it IS a clearly circular argument, it is not even hidden or disguised -- you are DEFINING efficiency by efficiency.

you are looping in a circular argument 9 years 3 months ago #3961

Silly Sad wrote: it IS a clearly circular argument, it is not even hidden or disguised -- you are DEFINING efficiency by efficiency.

Call me stupid, but I have NO IDEA what you just said Silly Sad, could you please point out a little better what exactly it is that you would like us to do or change? Cause at this point I must say you didn't bring much sense into the topic which we are discussing other than that you are saying that we do something wrong.

So: please point out exactly what you would like us to do with clear words. ONLY then we can discuss it.

Thanks
Last edit: by Frank.

. 9 years 3 months ago #3962

"please point out exactly what you would like us to do"

NOTHING.

. 9 years 3 months ago #3963

Silly Sad wrote: "please point out exactly what you would like us to do"

NOTHING.

Well, that's constructive :-) Alrighty then, we will just continue to look for improvements in the scoring system and do whatever we can to make it more "fair".

Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Ranklist is not fair ATM. - Page 3 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.