Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Reclaiming you city back in 600s 7 years 5 months ago #5588

Hi!

I was just wondering if it is possible to implement feature allowing you to reclaim last city you owned withou pop restriction for 600 sec (same as auto login) if it is not claimed by someone else.

I was plaing Aphid CB script on desert and around 4k pop I moved my HQ to make some space for houses and to allow another station on the city border to accept passengers. Unfortunately it claimed another city which was nearby and I was unable to claim my city back. I asked admin for help, but the only option was (as he sad) to bomb out my city to 500pop. I was frustrated, but after 10-15min of bombing buildings, planting&bombing trees and bribing the city I managed to claim my city back ;)

I guess this happens to players once in a while and a little workaround with that 600s pop restriction imunity might help to lower the rage an stress amount to poor players like me :D

(the way it happened to me was quite unfortunate, coz when I was replacing my HQ, I had minimap opened over the mini city so I had no clue that it will be closer to another city center)

P.S. I really enjoy to play CB scripts. It is my first experience here and I was browsing forum threads and internet to gain some knowledge and understanding of game mechanics --- I was thinking of writing them down in a single thread (with links to original threads). Do you think others will appreciate it? My vision is to split it into two sections. 1) Game mechanics (game/script mechanics) 2) Gameplay (early game CB, mid game, hotkeys, adv.settings)
  • Aldoras
  • Aldoras's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Reclaiming you city back in 600s 7 years 5 months ago #5589

Hi Aldoras,

Your request is a valid one ofcourse, but it's pretty difficult to implement it in the sense that right now the script doesn't keep track on if a town was owned previously by another user. I'm not sure if you're playing Aphid's CB script or our own simple one? Nevertheless, we will check what we can do on this topic :-)

Regarding the last piece of your post, ofcourse it would be GREAT for newbies to understand the game mechanics and what to know about in these games. Since we don't really have a post like that (at least not that I can recall) I guess it would be very nice to have it written down :-)

We will check what we can do with your request.

Thank you and have fun on the server :-)

Frank
Server Admin & Webmaster
openttd.btpro.nl
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomb

Reclaiming you city back in 600s 7 years 5 months ago #5590

Hi!

About reclaiming: I think it is just the player mistake. I made it once, and learnt that I should not move HQ having population above 500 :-)

About the "CB player guide": very nice idea, I also thought about it some time ago... The main question I kept asking myself was: what shall be described in detail to get reader attention and arouse his (her?) curiosity, and what shall be "hidden" to keep player's pleasure of finding tricks and advanced techniques?

Another question: duplicate openttd wiki (with generic game mechanics, hotkeys, etc.) or not?
  • tomb
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • Thank you received: 234

Reclaiming you city back in 600s 7 years 5 months ago #5593

When I started playing CB about two weeks ago, some mechanics were mystery for me (specially on Aphid script based servers). So it would be nice to tell someone to choose city with power station in temperate/arctic and with water tank in desert maps ;). To tell them that goods is needed after 1.500pop in normal CB script and so on.

@tomb: I dont intend to duplicate openttd wiki with generic mechanic. I'll just point out that hotkeys are REALLY helpfull and give them link to learn them own. I guess there is always a learning curve in using hotkeys and it is different for each player >> so telling someone which hotkeys they must/have to use is pointless. It is just on them if they want to improve or not ;)
Anyway the idea with reclaiming city. I know it is players mistake, but you can do it and it completely ruins your game. Maybe it is not that much frustrating for you when you play 90-100min on desert server, but it takes much longer for others :) (funny that it happened to me and when I bombed my city down from 4k to 500 and regrow it back, the whole game was still my record one with playtime around 2h :D )

Another idea is that instead of have some reclaiming "immunity", the game will tell you which city it will claim when holding ctrl key. (I guess shift is already used to calculate the cost of buildings)

@Frank: I was referring to servers 27/28/29 when speaking about Aphid script. I have no clue if it is 1:1 copy here, or you simplified/modified it. I'm glad you welcome my idea with newbie guide!
  • Aldoras
  • Aldoras's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.027 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Reclaiming you city back in 600s - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.