Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tool to learn how town growth works 7 years 7 months ago #5485

Dont know if this has been posted already on BTPro but here it goes anyway:

citymania.org/tools/townsim

Read the text below the simulator window to learn how to use it. With this tool you can see what you are doing wrong in your layout. See where your errors are and what it causing them. Also how the growth works in-depth.

Here's an example: i.imgur.com/KvNGv1j.png

Have fun!

Thx to >> dP << who make these sweet tools!!!!!! <3 :D
//Magnus 'Saber' Jonsson
The following user(s) said Thank You: ST2, tomb
  • Saber
  • Saber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • FrankerZ
  • Thank you received: 34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Saber.

Tool to learn how town growth works 7 years 7 months ago #5486

Thank you, Saber, very much. What a nice tool :cheer: dP did a great job!

Yours example is also great. But what can I do if I'm aware of big "svastika" performance and I don't like it very much? ;) I use it only during 25k games. In each game below 25k I make loops and CS is going high.
  • tomb
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • Thank you received: 234

Last edit: by tomb. Reason: typos

Tool to learn how town growth works 7 years 7 months ago #5487

tomb wrote: Yours example is also great. But what can I do if I'm aware of big "svastika" performance and I don't like it very much? ;)

By "big swastika" you mean double spiral ? What is that you don't like about it? It's the best layout unless you can use simpler spirals (for 4k mb).

Considering btrpo's crazy pop-based growth you can try doing some shenanigans to free more space in center but I've never heard of anyone being successful with it.
  • dP

Last edit: by dP.

Tool to learn how town growth works 7 years 7 months ago #5488

By "big swastika" you mean double spiral?

I think I always try to build something which should be called "tripple spiral" using your naming convention. I also prefer playing on desert, where water and food should be also delivered. I transport them using trains, I think I should do it by air to keep spirals perfect. But I like trains entering the city!

What is that you don't like about it?

I know I should not compare the game to real life. However, lack of road crossings in the cities is the only thing hard to accept for me. Maybe because I got used to them in old times, when there were no CB scripts and I was not thinking about city grow mechanics. And up to now, just for "visual satisfaction", I make crossroads in the cities. But spirals are unevidable if you need olympic-level results ;)

It's the best layout unless you can use simpler spirals (for 4k mb).

Agreed.

...free more space in center...

Even more "crazy" idea than spirals ;)
  • tomb
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-

Last edit: by tomb.

Tool to learn how town growth works 7 years 7 months ago #5489

tomb wrote: I think I always try to build something which should be called "tripple spiral" using your naming convention. I also prefer playing on desert, where water and food should be also delivered. I transport them using trains, I think I should do it by air to keep spirals perfect. But I like trains entering the city!

Triple like this? Hm, according to emulator it's ok, almost good as double)). Even though it has unequal probabilities for roads you need at least 50k town to notice it. And you can always put two-platform stations between roads without disturbing layout.

tomb wrote: I know I should not compare the game to real life. However, lack of road crossings in the cities is the only thing hard to accept for me.

Well, yeah then there isn't much you can do here. If you have loops you're bound to have CS and waste some precious central house spots. And the more and smaller loops you have the worse layout gets. You can do some decent infinitely branching layouts with more crossroads than spiral, but that's probably not what you're after either xD
The following user(s) said Thank You: ST2, tomb
  • dP

Tool to learn how town growth works 7 years 7 months ago #5500

Yes, that's the spiral I usually use. Yesterday I tried double spiral in the game, and it was great, as expected. I think I've just got used to it xD
  • tomb
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Tool to learn how town growth works - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.