Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 6 years 11 months ago #5997

imo playing 4k/8k CB is not that good. (Worthless to improve :D) The points for a game (if you collect them) are low. The gameplay is always the same. You have to be pretty fast, come into game early, choose a nice city, never miss a delivery and then use farms for goods coz they are to best.
If you want to make a change or improve you playing skills, I recommend you to play on 27-29 server (Aphid script, modified). At start it migch seem a bit harde, but in the longterm I think it is more rewarding (points, company structure/network, fun). There are also a lot of techniques how to win if you struggle at some point. Coming later into a game doesnt mean anything (if tomb is not playing :D) and after some practise you can finish 7.5k desert (temperate/arctic are faster) under 2h.
It is double the time of 8k, but It is about building working network, trying to deliver multiple resources and not about spaming spiral grid, exploit one way roads for bus/mail deliveries and using farms as the only source for goods :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 6 years 11 months ago #5998

@Aldoras: We try to balance points for the effort and time. Not always easy but I agree with you in 1 point: servers #12, #13 and #15 (and *A clones) are easy. So, it's normal that points are low ^^
Using same GS as previously mentioned servers, we have #10, #11 and #14 - are a bit harder because of demmands (desert). Worth a try if you like some easy/medium challenges :)

As you say, servers #27 to #29 are way more interesting and challenging - Different GameScript/mechanics/demands! Server #30 requires the knowledge of FIRS mechanics to make good games/times. IMO, this are the ones to where players go after have a minimal knowledge of the game mechanics

In future I'm thinking on lowering the points of servers #12, #13 and #15 (and *A clones). Not to undervalue them... but to value the difference of effort that takes reach the goal on servers #27 to #30 (or the Desert servers using same GS). But that's something to be pondered yet ^^

Same happens with CV servers, or whatever modes we have. The fact that servers #12, #13 and #15 are the most popular (easy ones), some players feel the need to bend the rules just for the "best times". All what I have to say about this matter is: some players already lost their 10 best times and points for abusing and, now, there's 3 more candidates for it! I'm just waiting!!

Anyway, we have competitive/goal servers. That, most of the times, can lead to players try to "slightly bend" our rules - What I have to say: Do NOT take that way... always ends badly!
My suggestion: play fair and by our rules and, most importantly... ENJOY the games! It's a game after all ^^
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 6 years 11 months ago #6004

Just to clear some things. By "exploiting one way roads" I didnt mean cheating. I just wanted to point out that players using one way roads closed from both sides and having 2 stations inside with endlessly rotating busses have less trouble to fullfill monthly demands coz of this feature.
s15.postimg.org/btoww5qqz/ttd.png

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 6 years 11 months ago #6008

So instead you either put depots on each side, which should be easy since the infrastructure in town is mostly owned by you or you just put two drive in stations in front of each other (if drive through stations got disabled).

And even if this all got somehow disabled, rotating buses on a 2x2 square is easy enough as well, and if you can actually work with catchment areas, you'll be able to serve same area (if not slightly bigger) than before using only a few roads more.
Life sucks and then you die...
  • Mikeftw
  • This feels personal.
  • Thank you received: 4

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 6 years 3 months ago #6277

Mikeftw wrote: So instead you either put depots on each side, which should be easy since the infrastructure in town is mostly owned by you or you just put two drive in stations in front of each other (if drive through stations got disabled).

And even if this all got somehow disabled, rotating buses on a 2x2 square is easy enough as well, and if you can actually work with catchment areas, you'll be able to serve same area (if not slightly bigger) than before using only a few roads more.

I don't think that's what he meant. When I was still learning CB years ago I never built those closed stations as I thought they just look stupid and unrealistic (haha I still do actualy). It's just the most efficent way to provide service for your town. If it was up to me I would forbid self-competitions with no exceptions (well, maybe allow overlapping of 1 row of tiles but only in towns). BTPro has a nice ruleset already, it forces more realistic style of building because it doesn't allow station spread, forces usage of ships and mostly forbids silly self competition - I say - why not go even further? =)

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 5 years 1 month ago #6885

it could be nice with a 100k+ server

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 What would everyone like added to citybuilder? - Page 9 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.