Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 9 years 9 months ago #3124

I'd like to see a custom version of CB:

On the initial map (any size) there is just one mega city (about 25000+ population) in the centre, so perhaps will have to use a template or custom map. No player can chose the mega city, but instead has to purchase a town from scratch (ideally with a population of 2), then it's normal CB from there on in. Obviously this mixes CB with non CB, but should provide an interesting game.

Obviously the player can name their town, but has to purchase all infrastructure the town may need for increasing it's population.

Since the non CB aspect will be generating money, by the time a player can afford a town they will have a constant stream coming in. With expensive tariffs for purchasing city essentials like for example a power station when the town becomes a city, multiple water towers per 500 population and a whole myriad of other things the BTpro community can think up. I would also suggest that if a town is created where a power station (as an example) is being fed by another player, then that pre-requisite would be meeting the requirements for power for that town, and not the player whom is receiving the revenue for the coal delivered there. Therefore unlike current CB games, a long game will make it easier for later players to compete, since at the moment sometimes the minimum threshold of choosing a town of less than 500 is not available as they've all grown beyond that.

If a player goes bankrupt after creating a town, that town then stays in the game until the game is won. Existing infrastructure which is inside of a new town's area will remain in place, but prevents future builds from competing companies as with normal CB rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 9 years 8 months ago #3199

I didn't read through all the pages here so forgive me if this has been suggested already.

Since there there are two 8k and two 25k CB servers I think it would be interesting to mix it up a little bit. What I have in mind is making the "A" servers the mountainous ones instead of the way it is now - 8k being flat and 25k being hilly.

Or maybe limit initial loan to 200-300k GBP? Change starting year? I'm not sure what would work the best but I'm sure a little variety couldn't hurt.

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 8 years 7 months ago #4609

Hello all,

First i want to thank the staff for those awesome servers !
I have a lot of fun playing those city builders servers, but sometimes, some games are a little frustrating, when you set up a nice new idea and you'll never see it working because someone else did the classical build order and made the game finishes in 40 min ...

My idea is a new type of city builder servers : Instead of having a defined population objective, you have a fixed amount of time (example : 1 hour, 2 hours or 3 hours). The goal is to make the biggest possible city within this amount of time, when the time is over, the winner is the company of the biggest city !
This type of server has those advantages :
- Less frustration : you know exactly when the game will stop, so you won't start a big station near a factory 2 min before the end.
- When a player wants to play a fresh game, he knows exactly when he could join, instead of actively checking and waiting the end of game.
- This could also add more challenge for the pros, as the classical build order for 4k, 8k or 25k have to be changed to handle random population figures.

Another idea :
A "time attack" city builder mode :
It's a server where the game never ends, players just come and try to achieve the goal as soon as possible, when it's done, they get their points for them, their company is destroyed and their town is destroyed and return to a village. For others players, the game continues.
This mode would have no "winner" so less points, but it's allows the beginers to try the city builder without being cut, they can do the objective in like 3 hours and face all the problems their town will have and they will be prepared for the classical city builders games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: malbec

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 8 years 6 months ago #4614

Hi Ga3L thank you for posting.
I like the idea.
ST2 what do you think? Would it be possible?
  • malbec
  • BTPro RETIRED Moderator
  • Thank you received: 10

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 8 years 6 months ago #4615

hi :)

well, some ideas are doable. Maybe we don't have yet timed games plugin made by Just because me, HS and Frank had been busy with other stuff. And when are real life matters, nothing to do!
But ofc, I think suggestion was made for timed games with no possibility to restart them, and we all love that, right?! It's a possibility, already used by other communities.

Anyway, I'll like to add something:
- Timed games has the exact same "frustration" as set goal games, in both you know when game will end;
- I don't think time to join is a problem, because in all our CB game modes, there's always a game starting fresh within minutes distance, you don't have to wait. If no one's on the server, use !voterestart for a new map but if you like that map, play it! Want better than that?;
- It's already a challenge for what you call "pros", and it's called time! Sadly, the ones you call "pros" don't like to play Desert or Arctic maps, even on servers with only 1 climate.

About the "time attack" city builder mode, I have to say this:
- When someone reaches the pop goal, and his company is destroyed, all others, and that includes a new created company, gets developed industries and towns - and that doesn't seem fair to me!

Suggestions are always welcome and most of them are tested/applied since OpenTTD allows it. And ofc, since provides fair chances to all players, which is not the case of "time attack" city builder mode suggestion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: malbec, Ga3L
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

What would everyone like added to citybuilder? 8 years 6 months ago #4616

I agreed w/ ST2. Citybuilder rest very fast when you have a pro playing (around 1hr, if it's a pro pro maybe in 38min or less)
one of the reason why I love server 12 and 13 is because I know a full game will be aprox 1hr. So I only sit and play when I know I have that our; and yes, I'm a huge fun of citybuilder.
  • malbec
  • Thank you received: 10

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 What would everyone like added to citybuilder? - Page 7 - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.