Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Server #31 "possible" Future 7 years 1 week ago #5969

Our Cargo server (#31) suffers of a Passengers/Mail "exploit" that I was thinking on a way to avoid it. Well, a solution came to mind... maybe harsh, but fair, because after all it's a Cargo server: Passengers and Mail don't count!!

To see how stable it goes, server "-BTPro.nl- #XX - TESTS" was started and I recommend the regular Cargo players to try it (all players are welcome, in fact). It's the 2nd attempt on it so, all feedback is welcome ^^

Enjoy the games :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikeftw, dodger007, tomb
  • ST2
  • ST2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Server #31 "possible" Future 7 years 1 week ago #5975

I don't play there often, but it sounds very reasonable, and I already like this change very much! Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ST2, dodger007
  • tomb
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • -=EPIC Donator=-
  • Thank you received: 234

Server #31 "possible" Future 6 years 10 months ago #6094

After some feedbacks, about not radically stop counting passengers and mail, Server #XX is live again (short Cargo goal) to test, again server #31 future. Now, passengers/mail that count for the server Cargo Goal, it's depending of a setting, currently set to 2%.

Edit: that % only applies to Passengers and Mail - all other cargo types are fully counted.

Feel free to test it and all feedbacks are welcome. Enjoy the games :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomb
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Last edit: by ST2.

Server #31 "possible" Future 6 years 10 months ago #6095

Update:

It appears server #XX (#77) it's going well, with it's 100K Cargo goal and mentioned changes. This changes, server and GS sides, were tested among all Cargo possibilities but, since required some server side changes, I've started server #97 to make a double test, which includes OpenTTD 1.7.1-RC1 . And why not make it big: regular Temperate Citybuilder, 50K goal ^^

About the topic, server #31 future, I recommend make some games on #XX (#77) - goal there is only 100K items, where Passengers and Mail are only counted with 2% (current settings and for obvious reasons).

And this is where I ask your opinion: after testing #XX, should server #31 keep the 300K items to deliver?

Fundamented suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance and enjoy the games :)
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Server #31 Present 6 years 10 months ago #6096

well, there wasn't much time to reply before stable 1.7.1 came out ^^

Anyway, just to announce that server #31 continues with the 300K items goal, but the amount of transported Passengers and Mail are only counted by 2% of it. Will be a bit harder and more challenges will appear ^^

It all started with we, players, noticing that pax (passengers & mail) inside same town was being abused. And, since was doable, I put my hands on the GS code to find a way to avoid that "exploit". In this particular case, was easier to change some code that to create a new set of rules. My initial approach was to cut ALL Passengers and Mail counting from a server with Cargo Goal. Was awesome and worked ^^

Until one day, a player suggested to give a Percentage counted per Cargo. The idea wasn't bad, because made it possible the final result. BUT, as it's known, our games depend BIG TIME on GameScripts (GS) we use, and I wanted to keep each GS we use compatible with all OpenTTD Climates and even compatible when using NewGRF's. In this particular case, was the Cargo GameScript. After some tests, another player said: if it was me, percentage would be 2%. And yes, he got the spot :)

Well, what I can say is: while collecting ideas and writing code lines for them, all the above lines seems short to explain what came from the wrote code an, somehow magically, all possibilities work \o/

So, as advertised, server #31 was changed to the above settings (as counting items) - About the other things, what I can spoil now is: Thank you for the suggestions - even a small one can trigger another idea - and that's what I love in OpenTTD :)

Enjoy the games :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anni
  • ST2
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Last edit: by ST2. Reason: typo
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 Server #31 "possible" Future - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.