Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

station spread definition 11 years 4 months ago #1451

So.
My point: you can't say that any station parts that aren't joined is a rule violation and reset for that without warning (that happened with two players in a row).
Even screw the reset and no warning part.

My point (and I'm gonna paste it from irc a bit):
I beleive that station spread as in rule breaks is something that gives an advantage of higher coverage. And that is achieved by placing bits or big parts of station deeper inside town or closer to industry while placing station itself somewhere outwards Bits or parts that are not used by vehicles.
Main criteria is taking advantage in higer coverage! and sign of that is being not used in proper way (by visiting vehicle).

So this is not rule breaking in my terms:

www.dropbox.com/s/xpo2edjd0zxcgbw/screenshot%232.png

I've been said that show above gives you advantage of faster truck flow [so this (not the hardwork on all the infrastructure) is the reason why company was at 55% goal when others were at 15% and since must be punished]. I must agree, it does give you that advantage. As those drive thru stops and train stations with proper approach and exit lines give you advantage of faster vehicle movements. Also planes. They give advantage of faster pax and mail movement. That's what they are there for, dear.

What I need now is your opinions. To make it easy and clear let's summarize it in one yes/no question. Ok, two questions.

1. Is any station having not joined parts a station spread that breaks rule and must be dealt with? yes or no
2. Do you agree that it doesn't really matter how big gap between station parts there is while all station parts are used to service vehicles and not to increase station coverage (also station size must match number/size of serviced vehicles)? yes or no

Please reply. I hope this will help at least two big communities and their rules sets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by arcanoid.

Re: station spread definition 11 years 4 months ago #1452

Any part of a station that has no physical connection to the rest of the main station is in it's most basic form - Station spreading. Although you gained no coverage increase, Cheyenne had.

I very rarely bother actually alerting spreaders for a number of reasons:
  1. Usually someone has placed a handy sign saying "ADMIN Spreading"
  2. The person spreading does not respond
  3. They spend 5 mins arguing with you it was like that when they got there.
  4. Spreading is usually so widespread it would take too long to correct

Secondly all admins are very different, I will spend time in servers, using different names and watching players. I also read IRC chat logs.

I doubt that on this occasion you would have agreed that it was spreading, would have removed the station because I told you too?

This incident has been disused by some of the admins, I have also spoken privately with Frank. I believe I am in the right about the spreading. Should you as experienced players need to be warned you are breaking the rules?

Also I don't deal with rule breaking differently depending on the player, I have tempbanned people for less than what you did.

Dodger

Re: station spread definition 11 years 4 months ago #1453

this topic is about understanding the term, not about our situation which happened becuz of different understanding of that term.

you acted on rules in your definition.
me and cheyenne played on rules how we understand them also.

you wanna avoid same shit in the future? then we need to clarify it all dont we?

Re: station spread definition 11 years 4 months ago #1454

1. Any part of a station ie. bus stop that is not physically connected to the other part ie. train station
2. Any station built purely to increase coverage/catchment.
3. Any station (or part here of that cannot be accessed by a vehicle.
4. Any station that is built to prevent access or fair competition by a competitor
5. A station larger than the maximum size of the train that can use it. Ie. a station 20tiles long on a server with a maximum train length of 7.

There is probley more.

Dodger

Re: station spread definition 11 years 4 months ago #1455

All points which Dodger posted above I agree with... This is also what we discussed in our admin team.

So, to answer the questions of Arcanoid:

1: Absolutely (means yes). All stations which are apart from the main station should be a seperate station.
2: no, I don't agree... else you can also make a big cross in a city of busstops because if a traffic jam occurs the bus goes to the other station. So no: the stations needs to be fit to each other, if there is ANY tile in between a new station is needed to be made.

I hope this clarifies it a little what the rule on spreading means... It's not so difficult to play around it as long as you keep creating new stations when the parts are not joined together!

Best regards,

Frank
Server Admin

Re: station spread definition 11 years 1 month ago #1692

my question is: why would station be able to get greater length than trains. Maybe station.station_spread should be configured to vehicle.max_train_length. Allowing station spreading is not such a big advantage when we're talk about only 7 tiles...

Last edit: by Blup. Reason: clarifying a bit
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds
Best hosting deal on hostgator coupon or play poker on party poker
Copyright 2020 station spread definition - BTPro - OpenTTD Community.